Re: Pereskia . . . a cactus in transition.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Cereusly

Re: Pereskia . . . a cactus in transition.

Post by Cereusly »

Is anyone out there growing Pereskia? The Pereskia aculeata 'godseffiana' I started from a cutting last Spring, and the Pereskia grandiflora 'Rose Cactus' is from seeds I started in December '07.
CereuslyImage
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I've got a small Pereskia aculeata variegata, has similar colors to your 'godseffiana'. Maybe the same?

Nice seedlings!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Not enough people are growing this wonderful genus and I can't figure out why. Maybe that is my calling??
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

If it would survive my winters I'd be growing it :)
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

I love Pereskia! :)
the most neglected genus in the entire cactus family. deserve to be much more popular! some i have seen in books and in posts here (by CV) have among the best cactus flowers i have ever seen.
if they were more widely available here i'd collect the entire genus.
i have 2 P. aculeata cv. 'Godseffiana'. one is small and the other over half a metre tall. it even flowered, a little white rose.
Godseffiana has very beautiful leaves.
i am trying to find a normal P. aculeata but my search has been fruitless, not helped by the fact that it is actually a noxious weed in certain parts of this country and it is rather er illegal to cultivate elsewhere. hence in the other places where it is not a weed it is near impossible to find. paradoxically, i am absolutely amazed that it is actually legal to import seeds of this species. don't know how that works.

Very well grown plants you got there, i am most impressed. :) i especially like the P. grandifolia, only seen that one in books.
hmm wonder if i can sneak in some seeds
Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

I purchased the seeds for Persekia grandiflora from http://www.tradewindsfruit.com , do a Seed Search to find the seeds offered. I planted two 4" pots (four seeds per pot), placed in a warm sunny window, and 6 seeds popped in two weeks. I know that they've got a way to go, but once they develop a healthy root system they should take off. Here's a nice picture and information about Pereskia grandiflora 'Rose Cactus.' http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/rose_cactus.htm .
blossfeldia

Post by blossfeldia »

I love Pereskia species too. Fortunately I collected some rare ones like P. weberiana and P. sacharosa variegata. :) I will post my photo very soon :roll:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

blossfeldia wrote: I will post my photo very soon :roll:
Yes, please do!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Cereusly

Re: Pereskia bleo . . .

Post by Cereusly »

The Pereskia bleo is the one I'm looking for now. I don't think this one is less tolerant of the cold. Does anyone know where 4" potted plants or seeds are available? I love that orange/red color.
Cereusly
TimN

Post by TimN »

In the Pilbeam book "Cacti for the Connoisseur" he does not recommend ANY Pereskia/Pereskiopsis for collection. Doesnt' seem to care for them, apparently...

In the book, each genera section has a recommnedation section for species from that genus.

Tim
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
iann

Post by iann »

Its fairly easy to see why this genus isn't widespread. They are huge and ungainly, unsuitable for any but the largest greenhouse, and lacking any useful sort of frost hardiness. They are also essentially non-succulent. Great for a southern Florida garden, useless for most of us. If you're in England, grow a Rose instead :lol:
--ian
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

iann wrote:They are also essentially non-succulent
Another reason to grow them! for the curiosity of having a non-succulent cactus!
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

iann wrote:...unsuitable for any but the largest greenhouse, and lacking any useful sort of frost hardiness.
So that's why all you Brits grow columnar cacti, Pachypodiums, etc.?

LOL!

-R
Chicago Cactus

Post by Chicago Cactus »

I've got three P. grandifolias that I started from seed from Tradewinds last April. Only one of them is going strong, and is about two feet tall. 8) The others are around a foot tall. Didn't help that I got them sunburned this May when I put them outside. :x By now they have outgrown that though.
Watch out for the spines though, ouch! Sharper and sneakier than cacti.Image
Tom
Zone 5b
Watch out for the cholla, bunny!
john b

Post by john b »

Pretty plants, but I can't seem to get them to grow on this cool, drippy coast.

John B