Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stage plot app recommendations?

I have to do stage plots for a couple of my bands. I did it before with crude drawings but now I see there are apps that have icons for instruments, etc. Some of them are free but want you to pay for upgrade, some are more costly. I've read reviews and there's lots of criticisms of most programs. Do you use a program for designing stage plots? DOo you like it? I don't mind paying a small fee but I don't want to pay a large one unless I've tried it out and liked it. I'm on a Mac if that makes a difference. Thanks in advancee for any info

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I just use the presentation application built into Macs: Keynote.  I use the basic shapes: circles, squares, triangles, stars, etc to indicate different types of connections. 

This has all the necessary detail for a setup crew.  I'm sure you can make it fancier, but this gets the job done. 

You could use any presentation software: google, MSFT, Apple to get this done. 

stage_Plot.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, that's what I did before - just use shapes and label them. I might try it in keynote. Or even in a photo program. I don't need anything fancy, just something to show sound engineer where things are and what the needs for mics, stands, DIs are. 

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Stage Plot Pro.  It works well. It’s the only software I have ever used for this so I have no frame of reference to compare with any other software.  So … there could be better things.  When I started using it they gave you a free trial period. 

If I could figure it out it has to be easy.  

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I needed to provide one to a sound company and found a dedicated web-based free site (iirc).  Trying to remember what it was now.  Basically was visio-ish but with music-related icons instead of standard flow chart ones!

Edit, found it:  Stage Plot Designer
It has an input list which is nice for telling them what instrument lines you'll need.

https://www.bossradioatx.com/stage-plot-designer/

6 hours ago, stoken6 said:

No horns?!

Cheers, Mike.

Yeah, that was my immediate problem with Stage Plot Designer. Fail. 

Thanks for suggestion of using Keynote (Powerpoint equivalent on Mac). I tried it out and it was a breeze. Never used Keynote before. Little bit of a learning curve to get the formatting to work. But generated a usable stage plot for my purposes. Now I'll do one for my main band. Thanks much for the idea.

etaoin shrdlu stage plot.jpeg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Hi. Just saw this. The icons come with the Keynote app in Mac. It's the Mac version of PowerPoint. Also, as I remember, I just searched on the web for icons to use in Keynote.

Edit: this thread was started a year ago. Since then I've done more elaborate stage plots for 2 bands. 

• Like 1

That’s interesting, thanks for the hint. I’m going to try Keynote on my macbook. 

So far I was using the app mentioned earlier in the thread but I had to redo the stage plot completely from scratch every time I needed a different version 🤦‍♂️

I haven't done it in a while. As I recall, I do the plot in Keynote, then save it (or print) to pdf so I can send to sound guy or production person. 

Search internet for free Keynote icons. Here's one place to start

https://thenounproject.com/browse/icons/term/guitar-amp/

Here's a more recent stage plot I did in Keynote. It's a screenshot of a pdf. 

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 5.31.06 PM.png

17 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

I usually use a sharpie and a piece of paper

old skool 😁