Jonny_98

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
So I recently bought some upgrades for my PC. My specs are

• i7 7700K
    GTX 970
    Ballistix Sport DDR4 (2x4GB Sticks)
    ASUS Prime Z270-P

I am using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as a CPU cooler at the minute and I am not trying to overclock high or at all I am just looking for a stable PC. On default bios settings my games started to crash so I used AIDA64 Stress test. I checked "Stress CPU" "Stress FPU" "Stress Cache" and I got the Warning: Hardware failure detected! Test stopped after four seconds. If I uncheck the cache box then I do not get the error. I tried to disable turbo in the bios settings and there was no change. I am not really experienced in any of this and if someone could shine some light on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated!

I googled the error online and most people said that it means that the CPU isn't getting enough voltage but honestly I don't know which setting in the voltages section to increase or by how much.

EDIT: Stressing cache by itself causes an instant hardware failure error.

Latest EDIT: So its clear to me that the defaults are not working, after looking around I checked for some bios settings. I turned on the XMP profile and put the core clock to 4.5GHZ and am using an adaptive voltage. The system seems to be alot more stable as its not instantly throwing an error and I will see how it goes. If it throws an error later through out the test does that mean it needs more voltage? Ill update with pictures.
gPlQHC4.png

Solution
optimized defaults can lead to unstable systems, because it´s basic overclocking with some motherboards. Reset the BIOS by jumper

load "normal" defaults

update BIOS with ez flash inside bios itself

run intel processor diagnostics

temperature?

any bent pins on the cpu socket of the motherboard?

Jonny_98

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Ive had it for a month or so, I bought the CPU of Amazon brand new from intel. "Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz QuadCore 8MB Cache Processor" Yea I had messed around with some stuff, I tried to fix the problem before by increasing some voltages and putting the core clock to 45 with the XMP profile enabled to allow 2400mhz RAM. It seems to be more stable than the "optimized defaults" as the stability test lasts for around 5 minutes before throwing and error.

OzMartini

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
With the optimized defaults, the system should be stable. If it's unstable, it could be either a motherboard or a cpu problem....but I'd probably guess it's a CPU issue. You should definitely contact intel for warranty, or return it on Amazon if you can.

Basically, if it was giving you problems out of the box without you touching anything, then it's a bad CPU/Mobo.

Jonny_98

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
I just went into bios and loaded optimized defaults and ran the stress test. Could there be anything system related causing this error? Should I do a fresh wipe and test again?

L4xeK7I.png

I would rather see if I can fix the issue than send it back. Ultimately I will have to if it can't be fixed. I tried p95 using the small ftt test and one of the cores received an error.

Qlb0yWpg.png

Jonny_98

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

Yea it was a fresh windows install, how come the stress test lasts for longer with my current bios settings? Does that mean its voltage related?

optimized defaults can lead to unstable systems, because it´s basic overclocking with some motherboards. Reset the BIOS by jumper

load "normal" defaults

update BIOS with ez flash inside bios itself

run intel processor diagnostics

temperature?

any bent pins on the cpu socket of the motherboard?

Solution

Jonny_98

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

Thanks for the reply, I didn't realize that the motherboards "optimized" defaults were not actually the original defaults (silly mistake) I put the cpu clock to 4.2ghz and kept the X.M.P profile enabled, after about 45 mins AIDA64 threw an error with all the CPU boxes and RAM box checked. I decided to try prime95 and do small FTT tests, it ran for about 1 hour without showing any errors do I tried to do a blend test and it threw and error after a few minutes.

Code:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4995661149, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4987629804, expected less than 0.4

This gives me the feeling that is RAM related as I ran the processor diagnostics and got

Code:
--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.0.0.29
--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 10/07/2017 13:55:32

--------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Testing
CPU 1 - SPBC - Pass.
CPU 1 - Genuine Intel - Pass.
CPU 1 - BrandString - Pass.
CPU 1 - Floating Point - Pass.
CPU 1 - Prime Number - Pass.
CPU 1 - Cache - Pass.
CPU 1 - MMXSSE - Pass.
CPU 1 - FMA - Pass.
CPU 1 - AVX - Pass.
CPU 1 - IMC - Pass.
CPU 1 - PCH - Pass.
CPU 1 - IGD - Pass.
CPU 1 - GFX - Pass.
CPU 1 - CPULoad - Pass.
CPU 1 - CPU Frequency - Pass.

IPDT64 Passed
--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.0.0.29
--- IPDT64 - End Time: 10/07/2017 14:00:21

PASS

My temps are MAX 70 degrees and averaging mid 60's. I will try to reset the jumper now and the bios is the latest version using EZ flash.