Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

I already knew I didn't like Rufus but...

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

I jumped back in last night for the first time in ages and enjoyed it a great deal. Created some player matches, waited for dudes and fought some great rounds against Kens, Bisons, Balrogs, Akumas and even an awesome Gouken (man, I still gotta unlock him!).  

MY WHITE WHALE
    MY WHITE WHALE

Anyway, I was having a ball until a Rufus joined. My first thought was "Christ, why would anyone pick him?". And then the match started. 

Every second, every spare moment when this Rufus wasn't wiping the floor with me, he was throwing a fit. Constantly shaking and wiggling on the spot so much so that his feet hardly touched the ground. And he did in a way I knew immediately that it wasn't a bug, it was the player doing it. I was just like "What the hell dude?". Just jiggling so much that his legs and arms were flailing all over the place and holy shit, it was off-putting. All I could think of was this dude at home somewhere else in the world, shaking the crap out of the stick while yelling "Wakka wakka wakka!". I managed to win a round which felt great but for the most part he was superior. He then Ultra-finished me. 

I going to get back in again, probably tonight but it was one of the more stupid things I've seen. And if it could have been anyone, it had to be Rufus. 

WHAT AN ASSHOLE
    WHAT AN ASSHOLE
    sho76und3wd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sho76und3wd

"YOU FOUGHT THE REST, NOW FIGHT THE BEST!"

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

I love that every fighter throws in a big fat dude now.  Rufus is the worst but the guy in Tekken 6 was pretty lame as well.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rayfield
    @sho76und3wd said:
    ""YOU FOUGHT THE REST, NOW FIGHT THE MOST ANNOYING!" "
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By TheHBK

Yup, along with el Fuerte, worst additions to this game.  Street Fighter has always been known for balanced fighting, but balanced characters, thats another story.  With these two retards in the game, it makes me feel like they failed to capture the badassness of the SF2, and now the game seems decidedly japanese.
    Fuck you el Fuerte, fuck you.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By AndrewJD

Rufus is awesome.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

Ha, I think that guys funny, not this Bob shit from Tekken.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

It's meant to be a joke character. It's the ultimate redition of an annoying, fat, over confident American.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rayfield
    @Scooper said:
    "It's meant to be a joke character. It's the ultimate redition of an annoying, fat, over confident American. "

Yeah but, any idea about the dude's bizarre play style? Come across that before?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I don't like any of the 4 "new" SFIV characters. I think I hate El Fuerte more than Rufus though.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

Rufus my be a little annoying, but he is fucking god with his EX Messiah Kick.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Symphony
    @Scooper said:
    " It's meant to be a joke character. It's the ultimate redition of an annoying, fat, over confident American. "
    It's too bad they haven't turned that sense of humor on their own culture and created a flamboyant, androgynous Japanese guy the likes of Gackt or Dir en Grey. Or better yet, a generic 20s something male who's only footnote in life is supposedly marrying a video game character

(And no I'm not hating on Japanese culture; if we laugh at one stereotype we may as well laugh at em all)

Though I guess they have Dan, but then again, he's not really a stereotype of anything and was created as a jab at Art of Fighting's Ryo Sakazaki.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14  Edited By Symphony
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    " @Symphony: What about E. Honda? "
    Eh... I don't see him being a satirical character really. Sure he's got the whole "Let's combine Kabuki and Sumo!" thing going on, but overall he's always been a character I can take seriously, unlike Rufus who just begs to be laughed at. Maybe if Honda wore a Kabuki wig and robe, I could see him being a silly character. But really he just strikes me as a pretty standard sumo wrestler, for the most part... One that can dive across the screen headfirst >.> But the standard Karate characters can throw fireballs, so anything's possible!
    misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By misterpope

E. Honda is the man. Rufus... sucks. Cause I get dominated by him.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AniMoney

dive kick spam sucks, so effective if you don't have a dp.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

He's the reason I just stopped playing in the middle of arcade mode, an hour after renting the game, whipped the disk out the window, walked outside, loved how blu-rays can't break, brought it over to blockbuster and bitched till they let me rent something else.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rayfield

I'm cool with all the 'Rufus sucks' talk, but does nobody have an idea about this dude's shakin' all over play style?
    j0nnyDiGITAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By j0nnyDiGITAL

Rufus resembles most Yun and Yang's play style from 3rd strike. He's actually been dominating the current tournament scene. Do not take Rufus lightly. He's probably the best Non-fireball character in the game. I have no opinion on his general character personality or whatever. Street Fighter 4 is a competitive fighting game from JAPAN so it's going to be as Japanese as possible.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By lordofultima

I don't really see the complaint? Rufus playing footsies is all I can really gather from your description of what he was doing. This combined with random dive kicks make for pretty normal Rufus play. Rufus is top tier character IMO, if you think he's a joke character then the joke is on you, he will run over you.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    I use to main The Ruf, but i felt even more dirty than my name suggests. Alas, I changed characters.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Thrawn1

well.....you can always try blocking......the worst thing that can happen to you is getting thrown. I'd much get the chance to tech a throw than give rufus a free combo because I couldn't stop hitting buttons

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AniMoney
    @Thrawn: Rufus has one of the most damaging normal throws in the game with his forward/neutral throw. It does 150 damage. 

If you try to tech, he could do an instant dive kick into a combo, if you sit and block, he will eventually throw you. Guessing game mad in his favor if you don't have a viable reversal (dp)
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lordofultima

Teching throws on Rufus is a death sentence, since whenever you think he's throwing here comes another instant dive kick. A lot of people habitually block high when they see dive kicks coming, but you can block them low. This is my advice to you.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CptPanda29

Street Fighter has always had dumb characters, most of them make it look like a stereotype deathmatch. They have a character outline first when they make new ones, and build the moves from there. 
    The more you fight the ridiculous looking ones the more you zone out the jiggle physics and focus on the barrage of attacks Rufus can get out at a moments notice.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AniMoney
    @lordofultima said:
    " Teching throws on Rufus is a death sentence, since whenever you think he's throwing here comes another instant dive kick. A lot of people habitually block high when they see dive kicks coming, but you can block them low. This is my advice to you. "
    Some people block high so they can try for a stand jab anti-air or something to get out of the mixup. Of course you could just teleport or srk.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rayfield
    @Rayfield said:

Yeah but, any idea about the dude's bizarre play style? Come across that before? "

@Rayfield said:

Yeah but, any idea about the dude's bizarre play style? Come across that before? "

@Rayfield said:

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rayfield

Just to be clear here, I'm not bitching becauase Rufus beat me and he wasn't constant'y kicking. That's not what I'm talking about. 

What he was doing was not attacking but vibrating on the spot. He wasn't kicking or dive-kicking or anything. He was just wiggling in a way that just looked as if he was shaking the crap out of the stick without pressing any buttons. It was just...strange and struck me as the dude doing it for the sole reason of saying HEY LOOK AT ME I'M AN ANNOYING ASSHOLE. Which is fitting for Rufus.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AniMoney
    @Rayfield said:
    "  HEY LOOK AT ME I'M AN ANNOYING ASSHOLE. "
    If you say so.

You got tea bagged by some guy messing around, get over it.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rayfield

Well this thread worked out great.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AniMoney
    @Rayfield said:
    " Well this thread worked out great. "
    What did you want us to say?
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FunExplosions

Here's what you need to do: Pick Rufus. Start the fight. Mash "down" repeatedly. You won't stop laughing.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lordofultima

So wait, he's just dancing back and forth and crouching repeatedly, and you hit the boiler over this? You're pretty sensitive, I usually wait until I get my ass whooped to complain about how the game is busted.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stephengotlost

In essence, Street Fighter is ridiculous regardless.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @CptPanda29 said:
    " Street Fighter has always had dumb characters, most of them make it look like a stereotype deathmatch. They have a character outline first when they make new ones, and build the moves from there. The more you fight the ridiculous looking ones the more you zone out the jiggle physics and focus on the barrage of attacks Rufus can get out at a moments notice. "
    That belly is so mesmerizing.....
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm
    @Rayfield said:
    " I'm cool with all the 'Rufus sucks' talk, but does nobody have an idea about this dude's shakin' all over play style? "
    Rufus' playstyle consists of move spamming. Literally. It can be overwhelming because you get so fixated on trying to block and counter a specific move he keeps spamming, that you forget about all of the other weird and wonky shit he can throw at you unexpectedly. I've also gone against a lot of Rufus players that their entire game consists of spamming Dive Kick, and when their meter fills, using an Ultra with that stupidly easy setup. Dive Kicks are only a problem at certain lengths because I'm not always sure if it's going to hit in front or behind me, so I may block a certain way and he lands on the other side and immediately starts something ridiculous. The key to beating out a Rufus player is keeping distance between you and them. Rufus players make for intense fights sometimes, but they can also be annoying as hell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.