Aerangis luteoalba var. rhodosticta

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
very nice; does anyone know if this species has a definite shelf-life, or has anyone kept one alive for a decent period of time?

Very good question! I often read it must be grown warm. I have grown 5 plants of this species until now. All of them were growing well in cooler winter temperture and they always showed problems just after the hottest weeks of summer (disease and sometimes thrips) when the temperature was sometimes higher than 27 C.

I read they need 2 rests a year. I think I will reduce watering in July and August if I see less roots activity.

Unfortunatly I discarded the first 2 plants I got because of virus. I only kept them 4 or 5 years.

Very good question! I often read it must be grown warm. I have grown 5 plants of this species until now. All of them were growing well in cooler winter temperture and they always showed problems just after the hottest weeks of summer (disease and sometimes thrips) when the temperature was sometimes higher than 27 C.

I read they need 2 rests a year. I think I will reduce watering in July and August if I see less roots activity.

Unfortunatly I discarded the first 2 plants I got because of virus. I only kept them 4 or 5 years.
Darned virus.

Mine is growing in the cooler section of the greenhouse, but I've never stopped watering it.

According to Stewart et al, var. luteoalba (the all cream form) comes from 800-2200 masl, and var. rhodosticta comes from 1250-2200 masl usually on twigs near rivers.

Given the elevation data and experience with other riverine Aerangis, I would not grow this truly warm or with any defined hard rest. I would think a significant night drop into the 50s or 60s would be best, constant high humidity since it occurs near rivers, and fairly even watering with maybe a lessening in winter, which is typically normal for most plants.

I've never been successful with this species ever after many many attempts both outdoors and in terraria. The need for cooler nights could be why I've always killed them. A local nursery grows this one mounted and very close their wet wall. Those plants are always very well grown and bloomed, which is also evidence toward the high humidity cooler temps argument.

A beautiful species.
We recently had a guest speaker from Sth. Africa at our club and he said grow it with Phalaenopsis. Mine gets a minimum of about 15C and is doing well so far. One thing I've been doing though is to remove the flower spike if the plant looks in any way weak or tired. It seems to initiate blooms at any time of the year but I will only let it bloom once. This has resulted in a nice big glossy new leaf and a very strong spike with many buds. Its on cork and I water when its dry--which is most of the time!

I have always loved this species the red in it is such a nice touch nice growing

Latest posts

Back