Cultivated Reef

How does this Condy Anemone look?

PRJ

I've never had an anemone, and this one impressed me today. White with purple tips. Looks amazing in person.

Does it look healthy? I'd say its tentacles are in the 3-4" range. They are charging $18 for it.

Thanks in advance!

post-82078-0-29752800-1385612920_thumb.jpg

The darker ones are the healthy ones. Lighter/white usually means bleached/unhealthy. Even though they can naturally come white it's usually agreed upon that darker is healthier.

Condy's aren't exactly reef safe either, they have a very potent sting that can easily damage coral.

The darker ones are the healthy ones. Lighter/white usually means bleached/unhealthy. Even though they can naturally come white it's usually agreed upon that darker is healthier.

Condy's aren't exactly reef safe either, they have a very potent sting that can easily damage coral.

The lady at the LFS specifically mentioned this is one of the ones from the white/purple color-form, so I doubt it is bleached. Either way, you are correct. After doing more research I came to the same conclusion you posted: a no-no for a reef tank.

Thanks for taking the time.

Yeah, they will munch on fish also. If you want fish the best bet is a BTA, as they rarely munch on fish, or a Rockflower.

My original plan was to never get an anemone since I'm not a big fan of how BTAs look, and I had never considered a Condy because I read about their propensity for being poor reef dwellers. Being at the LFS and seeing the white/purple one made me forget all that!

TL;DR: I don't think I'll be getting any kind of anemone.

The lady at the LFS specifically mentioned this is one of the ones from the white/purple color-form, so I doubt it is bleached. Either way, you are correct. After doing more research I came to the same conclusion you posted: a no-no for a reef tank.

Thanks for taking the time.

Yeah and literally every other person in the store I worked at swore up and down that a snow white sebae was normal, healthy and not bleached. Don't put any stock in what they say.

If you like the flow of the Condy and want a more "reef safe" nem an LTA would be a better choice. They can come in purple,green,tan. IF that's something you wanna look into. I grew my condy out a bit and decided I'd rather have a host for my clowns rather than a sarlac pit for them,and couldnt be happier.

If you like the flow of the Condy and want a more "reef safe" nem an LTA would be a better choice. They can come in purple,green,tan. IF that's something you wanna look into. I grew my condy out a bit and decided I'd rather have a host for my clowns rather than a sarlac pit for them,and couldnt be happier.

True. LTA's get BIG though. OP has a 40b and one could easily fill half his tank.

Condys get big too,not as big as an lta though typically. I have a large LTA in my nano cube. Pretty green tentacles with some purple mixed in.

That's the same color as all the LTA's I've seen. I always liked them but I didn't want to chance something that large in my tank with all my fishies.

I agree my friend,my clowns usually chase off the wrasse if he's lurkin the dragonet knows better he stays out of that area haha.Shrimp however are not allowed in my tank anymore....

I'm actually starting to consider RBTAs now due to their smaller size.

Earlier I said I wasn't a fan of their look; I think they are starting to grow on me now that I've seen a few IRL.

I know clowns can do just fine w/o an anemone, but that'd be the reason I'd get one, just to make their environment a bit more realistic for them.

Just remember if you get captive bred they aren't used to a certain environment anyhow. Honestly if that is your only reason I wouldn't do it. I love nems but they can be a big pain.

Bubbletips are usually a good bet. And what sunar said is true too. My clowns used my algae magnet (that was above my nem) as their host before going to mine. Took like 3 months. Just remember make sure the nem is bigger then your clowns otherwise it may get "loved" to death.

Archived