Condy anemone tank requirements

Macenzi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I currently have a 20 gallon fowlr tank. Standard bulbs. Live sand, live rock. 55 gallon canister filter. Air head and a aqueon hob 100gph so total of over 350 gph. I have 2 occ clownfish and 1 coral-banded shrimp. Could I have a condy anemone and would it host my clowns!
azu3y6az.jpg

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly certain that condys will not host clowns and may possibly even eat them if you attempt it. Stick with a bta if you want to try an anemone. What exactly are "standard bulbs"?

reefwatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will have to Change the lighting to keep anemone but get a BTA . I made a mistake and got a condy my clowns didn't go near it.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Condys do not host clowns and may go as far as to eat them. You want a Bubbletip. :)
I agree that the lighting needs to be increased.
Your params matter more than the specific filtration equipment. Where are your nitrates and phosphates right now?

Last edited:

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen Tomtato Clowns host a Condy at a LFS, but you're better off with a BTA if you're trying to get your clowns to host.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have been a mislabeled long-tentacle. They look similar.

If it was mislabeled, it was a heck of a deal then...they were listed for 19.99. Definitely looked like a pink tipped Condy to me.

reefwatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a domino damsel host in a condy.

A fool knows you can't touch the stars, but a wise man still reaches.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391808218984.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391808218984.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 411

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was mislabeled, it was a heck of a deal then...they were listed for 19.99. Definitely looked like a pink tipped Condy to me.
Maybe certain fish can handle it?
Kind of a discussion for another time, though. It almost definitely won't host these clowns.
I had a domino damsel host in a condy.

A fool knows you can't touch the stars, but a wise man still reaches.
Wow...lol. Never thought that would happen!
-----

Condys, even if the clowns did manage to host in them, can be very hazardous to the smaller fish a 20g requires.

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sadly lost our sebae anemone for unknown reasons. We got a condy on a budget cause we felt bad for our homeless OCC clowns. They aren't obsessed with it,like the sebae, but they are definitely hosting it. It just seems like its their 2nd choice for a home. On the plus side they spend a little more time actually swimming around the tank.

Here's our pair with the sebae anemone.
100_0918.jpg

And here they are with the condy anemone which has tripled in size since this pic about two months ago
100_1288.jpg

OP
OP
M

Macenzi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are 5 ppm and I do not know phosphates, I am transitioning from salt to fresh. What affects phosphates and how do I test!

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised to see everyone suggesting BTA's. They are acceptable hosts for ocis, but get a sebae and your clowns will be in it in about a minute- its chemical.

OP
OP
M

Macenzi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 months. Another thing is I have to move my tank to Atlanta in may and then back to statesboro in august it's a 3.25 minute drive. Will everyone be okay doing that? And should I wait to get an anemone when I get back in August and won't be moving it again for a long, long time. I use to do it with my fresh water fish just fine! And when I move does this mean my system is starting again even if I save the water and everything ??

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would wait until after August when you won't be moving for a long time. Moves can be done but the less livestock the better. There is almost always die off which can cause ammonia spikes which is tough on tank inhabitants. You wouldn't want a rock to accidently fall on your anemone but when tearing down tanks things can happen. Clowns do fine without anemones, but should the clown perish in one of the moves, the anemone should have another clown because they don't fare well long term without one.

OP
OP
M

Macenzi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea so I'll keep just my clowns and shrimp for now and I know how to move fish I've done it with fresh water for years now! I've never had a loss, but with anemone yea I would be scared because they are so delicate

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep everything wet and oxygenated, the re-cycle should be minimal. If I was you, though, I'd keep a spare bottle of bio-spira (or better, Dr. Tim's one and only) handy just in case.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back